Who's up for a pizza night? These Mediterranean flatbreads will satisfy your hankering for pizza, minus all of the grease. Plus, they're ready in 20 minutes flat. (Here are eight more healthy pizza alternatives.)
Made with artichoke hearts, avocado, and cherry tomatoes, these flatbread pizzas pile on the produce. And instead of calling for plain old marinara, the recipe features a pesto made with white beans, baby spinach, almonds, basil, a touch of olive oil, water, sea salt, and pepper. (Love pesto? Check out these recipes.) Top it off with a little feta (or not! it's delicious without it, too), and you're all set.
Mediterranean Flatbread Pizzas with White Bean Spinach Pesto
Serves 3 for a meal/6 for an appetizer
- 3 pieces of pita bread or naan (around 78g each)
- 2/3 cup cannellini beans, or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup natural almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1/4 small red onion
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese with Mediterranean herbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the pita bread on a baking sheet.
- To make the white bean spinach pesto: Combine the white beans, baby spinach, almonds, olive oil, basil, water, sea salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until mostly smooth. Use a spoon to evenly add the pesto to each flatbread.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes, chop the artichoke hearts, and thinly slice the avocado and red onion. Evenly arrange on the pizzas.
- Sprinkle the feta crumbles evenly onto each flatbread. Finish off the pizzas with a touch of fine sea salt.
- Bake the flatbreads for 10 minutes, or until the pita bread is lightly crispy. Allow to cool slightly before using a pizza cutter to slice the flatbreads into 4 slices each.
Nutrition facts per 4 slices/1 flatbread: 450 calories, 19g fat, 4g saturated fat, 57g carbs, 9g fiber, 3g sugar, 17g protein